Breastmilk vs Formula milk

My LO can sleep for 3hrs-4hrs per 90ml of FM. However I notice LO tends to cry for milk every 2hrs if i feed him 50ml of BM and 40ml of FM... and doesn't feel full after feeding. Is there any ratio to bm:fm? Am I feeding him correctly?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's great that you're being attentive to your little one's feeding patterns! Every baby is different, and their feeding needs can vary. When it comes to breastmilk versus formula milk, there isn't a one-size-fits-all ratio because every baby's needs are unique. Breastmilk is more easily digested than formula, so it's normal for babies to want to feed more frequently when given breastmilk. If you're supplementing with formula, it's okay to experiment with different ratios to see what works best for your baby. You may want to try increasing the amount of breastmilk in the mix to see if it helps your LO feel more satisfied after feeding. You can also try offering the breast first before offering the formula. This will ensure that your baby gets the benefits of breastfeeding while still being supplemented with formula if needed. Additionally, make sure to burp your baby well during and after feeding to help prevent discomfort that may lead to more frequent feeding. Remember, it's important to trust your instincts and pay attention to your baby's cues. If you have concerns about your baby's feeding habits, don't hesitate to reach out to a lactation consultant or your pediatrician for further guidance. You're doing a great job, mama! Keep up the good work and take care of yourself too. Your baby is lucky to have such a caring and thoughtful mom like you! https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

There’s no fixed ratio. You can feed your current 50ML of bm (or increase bm if you have more to offer), then top up with 40ML of fm + another 30ml to gauge how much milk he actually needs to feel full. Then from there, adjust his intake.

no fixed ratio. i think you are doing okay on the top up of FM; technically BM digests alot quicker which is why they get hungry fast.