Overfeeding?

My LO is 1 months 8 days. Currently I am feeding him with mixed of bm and formula. For formula is 100ml and bm is 110ml. However most of time he is not burping and puke out. Total one day intake is around 850ml or more. I am not sure am I overfeeding him that he can't burp and puke out. In the night, he can stretch until 4 hours until the next feeding Should I feed him lesser like 90ml?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hello! I think the amt of milk is fine so long your baby is not puking out much. Mine started to drink 100ml when he was about 1 month old and currently 1 month 13 days and drinking 120ml. I had checked with polyclinic dr regarding “overfeeding” and the dr said that babies will not be overfed and will know when to stop drinking hence we do not need to worried about overfeeding them so long he/she does not puke out milk. Different babies have different needs, some drink more, some drink lesser. Therefore, i think if he is alright with the current amt of milk, should just stick with it, he might feel hungrier and cry more if you reduce to 90ml As for not burping, kkh nurse told me that its fine if the baby sometime do not burp as he/she will fart out the gas. Also, maybe you can try burping him 15-30min and if he still nv burp then i think its fine :)

Read more

Mine is 1m7d. I used to give half bm half fm and both 90mls. Now most of her feeds are bm as I feel bm is easier for her to digest and she rarely puke out with bm. Now she 95% on bm at 90mls. Yes you may want to decrease first and burp him first before you feed him further. If after burping, he cries for more then you can increase the feed accordingly at 5mls per day? For burping wise, you might want to try leaning you LO further infront while u pat his back if you havent already, do it until you hear his burp. Another way is to place him over ur shoulder, making sure his airway is not block - then pat his back until he burps. They need to burp otherwise they’ll feel bloated and perhaps thats what is leadjng to the 4 hours gap of feeding?

Read more

thank you for the advice. May I know how long is your bm feeding interval? As for burping on your shoulder, I tried but LO will puke out a little. Only on rare occasions then he will burp

1y ago

Bm interval is 2-3 hours but mostly 2 hours! Can try watching these tiktok vids! https://vt.tiktok.com/ZS8q48CwM/ https://vt.tiktok.com/ZS8q4jPX1/