Hi... Would like to get some advice pls. I work in a retail company that ends quite late at night. I work shift hours, have been here for more than 5 years, currently pregnant and unable to perform actively as I am not so stable at times. Before being pregnant, I was channeled for a career advancement to become a manager. However, when the new HOD took over, and when I got pregnant, things doesn't seem to work out as planned and I hear talks that I should apply for a lateral movement instead because the new HOD has plans to bring in other people. I do not know if I should continue or just look for a new job in a different company. I somehow feel confuse and slightly cheated. I would love to continue still. My second question pondering in my mind is that will it be a good decision if I were to move to a new company and maybe take up office hours job since I am having my baby soon - more balanced lifestyle, can spend quality time with family, etc. I am just so lost and these issues are bugging me.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there! There are 2 questions to answer in your situation: (1) Retail vs Office position - it is true that office-based positions may have slightly more regular hours. However, sometimes, it can come with different types of stress AND you might have to bring work home to do. If you were to be promoted in your Retail position (as promised to you), would you stay? Because as a manager, the hours and workload as a retail employee would be very long (much longer), so would you have stayed, if you were promoted? These are the questions you have to ask yourself first, before making your decision. (2) New HOD - so far all you have heard are rumours of new people coming in. If you decide in (1) that a promotion would result in you deciding to stay on, then I suggest having a talk with the HOD first to understand what the plans are for you. Take the motherhood out of the question - ask about this promotion. Remind him/ her - "I am a mother, but also an employee of this firm." Starting a new job in a new company may be good - but bear in mind that there will be new learning curves, and there is no guarantee that the new supervisor/ boss is easy to work with. You will also need time to adjust to the situation. In addition, having a baby is a big change. You might want to consider if you want another change (at work) because sometimes too many changes at the same time can be VERY stressful as well. Based on that alone, if you decide to move on to a new place, you might want to consider waiting a few months (Settle into motherhood first) before doing so. Hope this helps you somewhat. Good luck! And I strongly believe that every mother is doing her best with her own situation. And I am sure you are, as well. Enjoy motherhood! :)

Read more