Hi... Would like to get some advice pls. I work in a retail company that ends quite late at night. I work shift hours, have been here for more than 5 years, currently pregnant and unable to perform actively as I am not so stable at times. Before being pregnant, I was channeled for a career advancement to become a manager. However, when the new HOD took over, and when I got pregnant, things doesn't seem to work out as planned and I hear talks that I should apply for a lateral movement instead because the new HOD has plans to bring in other people. I do not know if I should continue or just look for a new job in a different company. I somehow feel confuse and slightly cheated. I would love to continue still. My second question pondering in my mind is that will it be a good decision if I were to move to a new company and maybe take up office hours job since I am having my baby soon - more balanced lifestyle, can spend quality time with family, etc. I am just so lost and these issues are bugging me.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

How about having a chat with your HOD to find out his/her plans for you instead? Frankly, I feel that it may not be easy for you to switch jobs now and it may end up becoming a potential stressor for you if you are unable to find a suitable one. Hence, you can explore what the lateral transfer would be for you. Perhaps there will be a position with more regular hours which would be good for you as well. Take care mummy. I hope things would work out well for you!

Read more