My left boob will get engorge every 4-5 hourly, while my right boob doesn't get engorged even after 6 hours of not expressing. Whenever I express, my right boob always yields lesser than my left. The yield will probably be only half as compared to my left yield. How do I make sure both sides yields the same amount. I didn't have this problem when I just began bf-ing my newborn who is turning 3 months old soon.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Try latching the right breast more often instead of the left. After pumping you can apply cold compress over the left breast to moderate the supply. Apply warm compress over the right breast before latching or pumping to facilitate the flow. I have been on tandem breastfeeding and both breasts do not yield the same amount. It really depends on baby's needs. During warmer days my baby will prefer the left breasts and before sleep, she will prefer the right breast. I was told the left breast is water and the right breast is rice. When I looked at my ebm, the left side is usually more watery and right side yield is thicker.

Read more
8y ago

I'm an exclusively pumping mommy. Other than latching, what other methods can be done? Thanks for your advice :)