Is it safe to use steroid cream for 3 months old baby

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is always good to resort to natural based ingredients first. Steroids has side effects if in use for long term i.e. steroids addiction, you need a stronger steroids each time if the previous one doesn't work anymore. There is a term called TSW (Topical Steroid Withdrawal). http://etsin.org/understanding-topical-steroid-withdrawal/ Let me share my own baby's experience. My no.1 has rashes on her neck and face. I brought her to PD and PD prescribed a fungal cream which contains steroid. After I applied the cream, the rashes stopped but reappear when I stopped. The cycle repeated until the cream doesn't work anymore. Thus, I read up on a forum where the TSW term came into my picture. Thus, I have decided to stop apply all steroids cream and resort to natural based solution. I am lucky that I found Four Cow Farm's Tea Tree Remedy (for fungal infection) worked for my daugther. The rashes turned very bad when I stopped the cream, however I persisted to use the natural cream and in the end the skin became smooth again. For my baby no.2, his butt was quite sensitive to diaper and infected, with the pus. I used natural based cream too and finally heal. During the healing period, I faced a lot of criticism and pressure from family member for avoid steroid, but I know what is the best for my child. Not every kid is suitable to certain natural based cream, you need to do trial and error. If you are breastfeeding, you can try to do food elimination to see if your kid's skin condition turns better.

Read more

I would personally avoid the use of steroid for as long as I can. Thankfully, unlike Diana, both my kids skins', although sensitive, are okay with California Baby products so I have an entire shelf full of them. They are a little pricey, but I buy them during baby fairs where the vendors run massive discounts on them. Also, a little goes a long way. Their cream spreads pretty well and I only need to thinly. The big size one is about $20+ after discount and lasts me for about 4months or so.

Read more

I have read that most doctors will prescribe anti-inflammatory cream which contain steroid to treat baby eczema. It is generally safe to use on skin if it is applied correctly. The amount of steroid should be prescribed by a doctor. I think you should always visit a doctor and do not apply on baby without any prescription. http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a541297/baby-eczema-causes-symptoms-treatments-and-creams

Read more

If only recommended by a Dr. My son starting using steroid cream when he was 2month but was prescribed by an allergy Dr

TapFluencer

I wouldn’t recommend it. Best you consult your doctor for professional opinion

VIP Member

Try to avoid steroids for babies, do seek your Pd opinion.

thanks

VIP Member

Try not to best to consult with your PD.