Is it ok to give your toddler (2 years) sparkling water? What's too much?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

The article from the source below explains the many reasons why plain water is preferred over mineral or carbonated waters when introduced to even after child's 2 years of age. Reasons: *Some mineral water may contain too much sodium and other minerals that can be difficult for a baby's or young child's kidneys to handle *Carbonation comes from gas – and that's just what it will cause in your baby or child *No serious harm it can do to your child but the potential downsides like giving it to him equals giving him large quantities of sugar, artificial flavourings or other chemicals that are not good for baby's health I agree to Diana's suggestion of turning to more healthier drinks that would surely still satisfy your child's curiosity over something away from the plain water. http://www.babycenter.com/404_when-can-my-baby-drink-carbonated-or-mineral-water_1368487.bc

Read more

I never offer carbonated drink or sparkling water for my kids below as once I know once I started to offer they will request for it. If you want to let your child to try the drink, you might want to restrict a few sips only. The ingredients in the drink are artificial sugar, coloring and flavoring which are very harmful to our body. You can DIY juices or smoothies using fruits and vegetables for a healthier choice of drink.

Read more

Fizzy water has a low pH and high titratable acidity.... all adds up to acid erosion of the teeth. Decidous teeth (ie the baby ones) are more vulnerable to erosion as the enamel is thinner. I would avoid fizzy drinks on a regular basis and fruit shoots for that matter. Fruit juice itself once a day with a meal would be ok.

Read more

I wouldn't give my child sparkling water. I always carry a bottle of water with me when I go out. Sparling water can give a little one a tummy ache because it is acidic.