Tcm confinement myths

In TCM practice, It is believed that you cannot read or cry or use handphone in the dark room during confinement, as childbirth is thought to weaken the liver, and the liver is associated with blood, which is associated with the eyes. So you must avoid stress to the eye otherwise it will cause 青光眼 (glaucoma) Instead you must consume more wolfberry to strengthen the eye as wolfberry strengthen the liver. Is there truth to these 3 questions? Namely is liver connected to the eye? Does reading, crying, using handphone weaken the eye? and does wolfberry help protect the eyes?

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

I had heard about these from my confinement nanny too. I am not too sure about the liver part but according to my confinement nanny, she claimed that our eyes are vulnerable after delivery and must rest as much as we can otherwise, we can get glaucoma more easily than the rest of the people. However, I went to google and found that it is more of the pressure acting on our optic nerve than anything. http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/glaucoma-2-cause.htm Wolfberry has always been termed as a health food that strengthens vision. Not for the liver I guess.

Read more