Icy Water

Im someone who dont believe in superstitious (pantang). I may follow some but with valid reasons. Ive been drinking icy water and cold food way before i was pregnant up till now in 3rd trimester. I get annoyed whenever people confronted me and say “cold again. Later your baby got asthma” i just sarcastically laugh at it everytime cos i dont wanna be rude. Can people just stop with all this nonsense pantang? Please do a research i meant lots of research and find the actual reasons behind those pantang. I can say 90% of all the pantangs are myth. I still respect those who follow pantang but please lah dont give such comments about my baby having asthma or what just because i never follow their belief 🙄🙄🙄

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I had my prenatal massage aunty told me off when she saw me refilling my bottle with cold water! She outright scolded me and said “you’re also a woman and you know how bad cramps can get, why are you doing this to your unborn daughter? You know it’s your fault of her uterus is “weak” and will have cramps if you drink cold water?!” Gosh, I’m speechless. Honestly the number of superstitions… the worst I’ve heard someone (who’s never been a mom) said to another mom (who have a child with cleft lip) was: So what did you do? You cut things on your bed? I was damn angry on behalf of the other mom because like why are you pinning this on the mom when she’s already blaming herself harder than everyone else? Uneducated opinions really pisses me off to no end.

Read more

Well, what to do, can’t help it. We are surrounded by a pool of oldies. Passed down from generations after generations with no access to science and research. All hearsay. Just be humble, you do you, they do them. Some old wives tales can just happen to be true, so you never know. It’s okay to heed their advices once a while but if you strongly feel that there’s a research stating against it, then brush it off politely. I drank cold water too throughout both my pregnancies. I just don’t drink them after I gave birth cause I’m afraid of blood clotting as I had complications and an emergency c-sect. So didn’t wanna complicate my post-delivery any further as every body has different ways of healing and reactions to certain things.

Read more

That’s not the only thing though. The worst thing I’ve heard in expecting mums group chat on WhatsApp group: Drink soya milk so baby comes out white. Avoid black sauce or whatever dark sauce else baby come out black. I told them off about: 1. Racist as f and insensitive to other races with darker skin colour 2. Being so uneducated - like hello 2022 liao please read about genetics and hereditary. To note: I am born fair skinned but I just find this skin topic so triggering. 🙄

Read more

No choice but to deal with it. More unsolicited advice will come your way when baby is out. Just take it from a place of concern even though it is inaccurate. 😀