Steroid jabs

Hi all! I'll be having my c sect at 38 weeks 2days. My doc advised to take steroid jab 1 week prior to prevent baby having wet lungs. As its steroid, me and my husband are a little sceptical. Anybody took this, kindly advise if it's necessary and if there's any long term side effect? TIA :)

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi! The steroid jabs are really for improving your baby's lung function prior to delivery. Even at late pregnancy, baby's lungs are still developing. Also, contrary to popular belief, steroids are pregnancy and breastfeeding safe based on research. I've taken steroids orally and topically for my entire pregnancy due to me chronic illnesses and my baby is a healthy little girl. I've been assured by my lung doctor and gynae that steroid use is safe. Anyway, it's also removed from your body after a half a day or a day. It doesn't stay in your body forever. All the best for delivery!!

Read more
4y ago

thank u!

I took 2 jabs, 12 hrs apart when I was 4cm dilated at 34wks. To strenghten my baby's lung. I heed my gynae's advice. As long as my baby is alive, I am willing to endure the pain. Not trying to scare you but it was the most painful jabs I've ever gotten on both my thighs. But the jabs literally saved my girl's life. I gave birth at 36 wks, went home the next day and she is a healthy & active girl today. Heed your dr's advice. They know better and safer options for you and baby.

Read more
4y ago

Yes very. But I think depends on individuals? Before the nurse jab me she informed it'll be painful but I didn't know it's really painful. I literally cried in pain. Then my legs felt cramp

I took 2 jabs 12 hours apart at week 35 when I had heavy bleeding with 3cm dilation when admitted into labour suite. its to strengthen bb lungs as he is still pre mature. waited for the jab to take effect for 2 days before off drip that delay labour. but bb still need nicu for 3 days for some oxygen support. very pain jab.

Read more
TapFluencer

I took it 2 weeks before csec had contraction at 34 weeks it's for the baby lung to prevent baby having issue that might need to be in nicu. another words is getting baby lung ready

4y ago

not really painful. yes I give birth to my girl at 36 week weighing 3.2kg don't need go nicu

I gave birth at 37 but so far my doc didn't ask me to take anything thou. baby's healthy