Wondering how EDD differs of DOB

If you don’t mind, can share your 1. EDD 2. Actual DOB of child 3. First/ second or number what child was that? Wondering if I should expect earlier or later, considering elective c sec, your thoughts? If baby can stay in longer better- once water breaks, can is it still considered elective/ planned c sec?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

EDD: 18 Dec DOB: 12 Dec (elective csect) First child (son) Had elective c-sect as to reduce risk of shoulder dystocia. Baby was big sized at 3.8kg and 55cm length at birth but mom was petite 1.52m. Big size likely due to dad's genes cz I had no GD. Initially, wanted to try vaginal birth but even at 39+ wks I was not dilated at all despite doing squats, walking alot and even had intercourse a few times at 38/39 wks. Found out at birth tt baby's cord was wrapped ard his neck so likely tt cld have prevented him from going down naturally. And I didn't want to risk having to use forceps/vacuum on baby's head or worse gg into an emergency c-sect. Unlike what some others have told me abt the difficult recovery frm csect, mine was a smooth one. My birth was definitely uneventful, I cld mentally prepare myself, cane into the hospital a few hours before and spent time chilling in our room (mine was a 1 bedder at Parkway East). My recovery was smooth, first few days just pop painkillers so the csect area wasnt so painful. I was able to walk ard quite alot to and fro from hosp to home aft discharge cz I insisted to bfeed baby when he was in NICU for jaundice. My csect scar is now not so visible (no keloid) as gynae gave me a scar gel and silicone sheet aft the initial bandage was removed. The only thing I hated was the injection of epidural but I know tt I wld definitely want tt too even if I'm gg for natural birth just endure it. I had some after effects frm epidural i.e intense shivering when epidural started to ease off aft the surgery. Overall I don't regret our decision to do an elective csect at all. But this time rd, pregnant with my 2nd one, I'm hoping to be able to do a vbac as baby is measuring average unlike her brother who was always measured 2 weeks bigger than his gestational age. Anw when water breaks, u will have to do natural birth already or touch wood if there are further complications, need to do emergency csect. So typically if u decide to go for an elective csect, gynae would likely get u to choose a date at the 38th or 39th wk.

Read more

Hello. I gave birth in august 2023 I chose to go with elective C-Sect and he’s my first born. Nothing wrong with going with csect just personal preference. For me my pain tolerance was low hence I didn’t wana go through natural birth. For csect, you will need to book the operating theatre hence you can’t really “delay” the birth. But if baby come out earlier, it’s considered as emergency csect which may add some cost to the birth. Csect recovery is not as scary as what others say, I managed to get off the bed on the 2nd day and function as per normal (do note I’ve 0 pain tolerance). I’m a month pp and recovery has been quite easy for me even without a confinement nanny.

Read more

1. 27 Aug 2. 15 Aug 3. 1st child Planned for natural delivery but ended with emergency c sect. Was an induced birth because amniotic fluid level was lower than ideal. My thoughts are even if you plan for natural there might be a small chance of doing c sect in the end. So if you have thoughts of doing elected c sect then just go ahead. It’s much more cost friendly. And everything is more planned out. I went into the OT and baby was out in 15mins. The recovery is also not as bad as you imagine.

Read more

EDD: 4 Jan DOB: 28 Dec First born (son) Mine was a big baby at 3.93kg. Gynae recommended c-sec for me. I chose 1 Jan as my c-sec date but my water bag broke on 28 dec 3AM so i had to deliver immediately as there won’t be enough oxygen for baby. It’s still considered elective c-sec even if your actual dob is before the selected c-sec date. And like the others here, yeah my c-sec recovery was smooth and painless. Will opt for c-sec for my 2nd baby too.

Read more

EDD: 26 December DOB: 29 December First child Natural birth (induced) due to low fluid. My water bag didn’t break nor did I lose my mucus plug. From the above, it seems like you prefer Csect over natural. So probably consider if you are okay to go for natural should your water bag breaks earlier than your planned Csect (assuming baby can’t wait).

Read more

Edd 12 aug 21 Dob 11 aug 21 First baby! Mine was natural. Its really up to u. Gynae preempt me previously because baby didnt turn.

8mo ago

Natural.