Hi mummies. I need advise on maternity rights and what to do

I worked for a private company for about 4 months and during that time I found out I was pregnant. I worked at this company before so when I came back I wasn’t offered to sign any contracts immediately which I didn’t mind. But after presenting the doctor’s letter stating I’m pregnant, they offered me to sign a part time contract instead. I can continue working for the company however they insisted that I switch to part time and will not get any benefits. They also said they can’t afford to pay me my maternity leave at all. Because I was pregnant I was worried for my finances and compromised to this. Still no contracts signed even after I requested for it. 2 months went by and now when I’m hitting my third trimester, they changed my working hours from 7 hours per day to now only 3 hours per day 5 days a week. I tried contacting tadm but the best they could do was mediate. And I can only file a claim to MOM after I’ve given birth. I’ve read online of many cases of working moms in Singapore stuck in this situation. Because of this stress, I’ve been in and out of the hospital and my baby is heavily affected. I need advise as a working woman and most importantly as a Mother. Also, what can we do to raise this issue?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

don't bottle it up. pregnancy is not an illness so you must not feel that you're in the wrong. talk to hr or your company union. jiayou mommy!