I wanted to drag my pump session, currently i am pumping 3 hourly, 3 times at work. However, due to work schedule if i wanted to drag pump, it can only be 5 hourly apart. I wanted to know from the sudden change of pumping 3 hourly to 5 hourly, is it okay? Will i risk myself with mastitis and decrease of supply? Thank you.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You will definitely feel more engorged but I don't think to the extent of having mastitis. How about try a day or two to pump 4 hourly and after that to 5hourly? Gradually dragging the time to pump will be better. There will be a slight decrease of milk supply as compared to pumping 3hourly. Mothers who choose to exclusively pump are very dedicated mothers - determined to do the best they can for their precious babies, and they deserve respect and support. Hang in there mommy!

Read more

sometimes there may be a slight miracle in the sense, dragging ur pump may result in more yield. i dragged my pumps from 3 to. hourly to 6 hourly.. and i realise my overall yield is actually more! u can try but do it stepby step.. true that u definitely will feel more engorged.. after every pump try to do a few hand express. i tried.. i did hand express aftrr every pump.. approx 5 mins each breast.. try it:)

Read more

Think you will feel more engorged at the beginning as your body adjust and adapt to the new schedule. Be sure to empty your breasts when pumping on the new schedule. Supply wise, everyone is different, but I think it is likely that you will notice a slight drop as you will be pumping less frequently as compared to your initial schedule.

Read more
VIP Member

The supply will decrease for sure. Your body is like very smart computer and it calculate your lack of pumping as lack of need of breastmilk. Count first your baby's need before trying to reduce the pumping frequency

i have drag pump from 3 hrly to 6 hrly in fact my overall yield on daily basis didnt decrease much.. which is still manageable..