I realized my lo will always get shocked by himself while sleeping and both his legs and hands will "jump" up. He's 55days old. This has been happening for quite long already. Tried swaddling him but he refused and will cry. Very worry he will grow up with being timid. Is it normal?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi this is very normal startle reflex and every baby will have it for the first three months. Some babies will have it more serious but nothing to worry about. My gal is a light sleeper and this startle reflex is so bad she wakes herself everytime she jumps and it can be every few minutes or so especially before she goes into a deep sleep. To reduce this startle reflex, Swaddling usually works for most babies and keeps their hands from flailing when they jump. My baby did not like swaddling too. How about those sleep bag like Woombie ?You can try the old peoples method of putting a green bean husk small pillow over their chest. Some friends tell me they put their babies to sleep on tummy to reduce this reflex. In any case don't worry it is very normal.

Read more
8y ago

Hi it may look very scary but trust me this is just a phase. My gal has bad startle reflex too, usually she will jumped and then cry or even scream in fright. I always thought something is wrong but she outgrew that by 4 months. Hang in there mommy

hi mama, hopefully the situation has improved by now. my boy also will shock himself sometimes but it was a phase for us and i hope it is for you too. anyways, my friend recommended us to get Zipadee-Zip which is like a swaddle that baby can move in it but slightly restricted so as to get pass the want to swaddle but not swaddle too tightly issue. it worked a little for us plus the "face-down" position (we used this because baby has strong neck strength already). btw, frown too hard white is also normal. sometimes they jump awake will cry case they can't get back to sleep too?

Read more