I am a low yield bm mother who is supplementing my baby with fm once/twice per day. I am trying to let baby latch as much as possible and pump 4 hourly. My baby sucks almost 1-2 hourly with no standard timing/ schedule. Sometimes even shorter interval. Problem arises when baby cries when it's about my time to pump, making me to miss my pumping session. Anybody has the same problem with me? And how do you cope with it?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Why do you think you have low supply? Pump output is not an accurate way of gauging your real supply. If you can latch your baby, there's no actual need to supplement with infant formula. Feeding on demand is the correct way at 7wo. If you wish to increase supply, try pumping after you are done latching your bub. You may not get much, but it's a way to stimulate your breasts for more output. Gradually, your pump output after latching will increase. Try to pump for at least a letdown, that would suffice. There's no need to watch the clock when you pump.

Read more

Sounds like you're feeding on demand which is okay if you have all the time to focus on your baby. However as busy mothers, this is not the most ideal plan. Since you're already supplementing baby with fm, why not take the opportunity to pump when she's drinking from the bottle. You can also try pumping when baby is napping. Take this opportunity to steer your baby's feeding schedule to be more of a structured routine. It will definitely make nursing and pumping less of a challenge. Good luck :)

Read more

I can understand your stress and frustrations. Try to stay calm (can be tough but have to try) as stress can reduce milk supply further. Try your best to manage your baby needs and pumping session. Yuna is right about pumping when baby is napping. You can try to take food that is believed to increase milk supply such as dark chocolates, oats and papaya fish soups. You can also try getting Fenugreek capsules from GNC. $29.95 for 1 bottle of 100 capsules.

Read more
Post reply image