I am in my second trimester and my doctor has asked me to sit for a discussion on my birth plan. And even though I want to go for normal, but I feel a C-sec would be less painful. Are there any side-effects of C-sec?

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, although the normal vaginal birth is painful, it is always better than a caesarean delivery, if there are no complications with your pregnancy or labour. A vaginal birth is also better for your future fertility. Side effects of a caesarean section: 1. You will feel pain for a while after the operation, and will take longer to recover than if you'd had a vaginal birth. You'll probably feel pain in your wound and discomfort in your tummy for a few weeks after the operation, while your body heals. 2. It's common for women to have an infection after a caesarean. The three main infections are: - Infection in your wound. - Infection of the lining of your uterus (endometritis). - Urinary tract infection. 3. A caesarean carries a risk of adhesions as you heal. Adhesions are bands of scar tissue that can make organs in your tummy stick to each other, or to the inside of the wall of your tummy. Adhesions can be painful, because they limit the movement of your internal organs. They can sometimes lead to problems with bowel obstruction and fertility if they press on or block neighbouring organs. 4. Most caesareans are carried out with an epidural or a spinal to numb your tummy, as it's safer than having a general anaesthetic. But having any anaesthetic involves a small risk. After an epidural, you may have: - severe headache. This affects about one per cent of women and is more likely if you've had more than one type of regional anaesthetic leading up to the birth. - Nerve damage. Though this rarely happens, and usually only lasts for a few days or weeks. Permanent nerve damage is very rare. However, a caesarean section, particularly if it's planned, is a common and safe procedure.

Read more