I heard that we will be given something to clear our bowels before delivery. May I know how is the procedure done actually?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Are you referring to the pre labour enema? During an enema, a catheter is inserted into your rectum and a soapy or saline liquid is injected to empty your intestines of any stool. It's supposed to help with delivery apparently. But from what I know, this practice is rarely practiced anymore. I haven't heard of anyone having an enema before delivery. http://sg.theasianparent.com/pregnancy-concerns-pre-delivery-enema/

Read more

i was given enema before delivery. The nurse asked me to change into my gown and told me that i will be given enema to clear my bowl before delivery. It works in minutes. Not painful but not that comfortable. im not sure if it must or not but since that time was my first labour, i was comply to what i was told.

Read more
8y ago

May I know which hospital is that??? I didn't even know or heard about enema until I came across this thread.

Both my babies delivered in KKH but was not given anything to clear the bowel. Both times, I experience loose stool on the day before I labour accordingly to the queue listed below beside unforeseen circumstances or C-sec cases. http://www.babycentre.co.uk/signs-for-how-I-will-know-I-am-in-labour

I was given at TMC before C section. They just asked me not to eat or drink for a few hours, then they insert something up my butt, asking me to hold it in as long as i can. I lasted 5 secs only before running to the toilet. They asked me to try to hold it in for 5mins, i find it impossible hahaha!

8y ago

Why did you choose C-sect??? Baby in breech position or you are like me very scared of labour & contraction pains??

I was asked to change into the labour gown, then the nurse told me that they will insert this liquid into my anus, so that I can clear my bowels. No pain at all. It took me less than 5 mins for me to feel the urge to go to toilet. Don worry, you wont feel anything.

I think TMC still have this practice. I just delivered weeks ago and was given this also while in the past did not experience while in kkh. Not pain but just uncomfortable during the process.

TMC and Mt Alvernia have this practice. Nurse told me to hold for 5 mins before going toilet, not sure how others cope but I find it very difficult to hold.

VIP Member

I was given an enema at Thomsons hospital and was able to clear my bowels before delivery but when I delivered at KKH for my 3rd one they didn't give any enema.

8y ago

TMC gave enema to you without your request???

I was not given anything to clear bowels before delivery. I don't think they use this practise anymore. Maybe check with your gynae when in doubt.

Anyone knows how long do we have to wait for the enema to take effect? Is it immediately or after a few hours? Thanks.