I find it so difficult to stop breastfeeding although I want to. My boy at 18mths insists to drink my milk once I am home after work. During my absence he drinks 2x100ml of fresh milk. But as long as I'm with him (also on weekends), he refuses fresh milk. Any tips to get him off breastfeeding even when I am around? Should I just cut him off?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It will be quite traumatic for your baby if you choose to wean him off suddenly. Cold turkey can cause plugged ducts, mood swings or even depression for yourself. I will encourage you to wean him off gradually, patiently and respectful of his needs. Substitute nursing with other kinds of nutrition and affection. You may also want to try the following techniques: -don't offer don't refuse -distraction or substitution (get out of the house more during weaning period) -change of routine (don't sit in the same place as you would nurse him) -postponement -shorter nursing sessions (reduce time gradually) http://kellymom.com/ages/weaning/wean-how/weaning-techniques/

Read more

thanks