I delivered 4 months back. It was a vaginal delivery. How soon before I can resume having sex?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You can start having intercourse after you've healed from delivery – usually four to six weeks after giving birth. Talk to your gynecologist first because getting pregnant too soon after delivery can be risky. Getting in the mood and enjoying sex may take time. Don't expect to jump right back into the kind of sex life you had before your pregnancy. Most women have a diminished sex drive for several months after giving birth. And caring for a newborn is exhausting, so you and your partner may have little energy left for sex. But don't panic: Most couples' sex lives rebound within a year.

Read more

It differs for everyone - how they are healing, how they are feeling. There is no set time and the most important thing is to wait until you are ready - physically and emotionally. Some couples have sex after the bleeding stops, a little after one month post birth, some wait until at least 6 weeks if they had an episiotomy. Most couples wait till after 3 months and some couples prefer to wait until after 6 months.

Read more

Post vaginal delivery there is some discomfort initially due to the soreness from the episiotomy. After the doctor's go-ahead you can try it out once you feel comfortable enough.

For me my first experience was about 2 months later. Initially it felt very dry and i was scared. It got better after the next few times.

It totally depends on your comfort level. Everyone's body is different. Take it slow and dont rush the process.