First Trim blood test and check up

I am currently 9 weeks, 2nd child. Previously took the Oscar test but this time round the gynaecologist suggested another option which is “NICE” (NIPT). Anyone did that and any suggestions? Oscar test is definitely cheaper option but lesser comprehensive results than this option which the doctor mention

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

my gynae suggested nipt for me at kkh. but i was sent to a counsellor and have her explained the pros and cons between oscar and nipt. as below for ur ref. 1. costs. oscar is half the price of nipt 2. accuracy. oscar is 90% accuracy while nipt is 99% accuracy 3. results. oscar will have results outcome. nipt potentially no outcome due to insufficiency of dna. kkh offers u to do a free retake but if still no results, no refund. and by then, u will be too late for oscar. 4. early detection for structural defect. oscar gives u a detailed scan of key organs. nipt doesn't. while u have a detailed scan at week 20, there are some early defects that u can detect thru oscar i took both. im expecting twins and above 35.. first pregnancy too. the counsellor advices a more conservative approach given my associated higher risks

Read more

NIPT price is 3X of Oscar but accuracy is much greater than Oscar. Oscar is known to have false positives. NIPT can also reveal gender. I didn’t take both as I will still give birth to baby regardless of its condition. Maybe you can ask her why she suggest you take NIPT over Oscar, and if you choose Oscar will she be ok with it. Is there anything specific she wants to find out from your NIPT results that Oscar can’t tell?

Read more

Hello! I did NICE when I was 12w! I think it's very new so you can't find info on it. I did 5 weeks ago. NIPT tests are much more accurate with 99% accuracy. I know some mummies who took OSCAR (95% approx accuracy) but had some anomaly from the tests and ended up having to do NIPT later on with lots of worries 😅 so you might want to just go for NIPT straight if your gynae suggests that :) take care! ❤

Read more

Oscar result not as accurate. If you're in late 30s like my friend maybe the doctor will suggest it because very high chance the result from Oscar will already be affected by your age. Nipt can test for more conditions. I went for it for a better peace of mind.

my gyane was saying that no more Oscar test. so only NiPT which is the "cheapest one". but compared with last time, NIPT really cheaper now. I rem it was like 1k+ previously. now 600+

Yes I did NIPT it's v comprehensive and found out its a boyboy. haha well technically the scan showed something between the legs but it's 100% sure now.

in my opinion mommy it's better to follow what your doctor wants you to do since she knows what happened to your body. just saying ☺

Can I know usually how much is the oscar test? Doctor recommend me to take oscar only. But charge 400$. Is this the standard price?

3y ago

Oscar was $380, NIPT I think $990. Before gst price at TMC

I will go along w what the Dr recc, after all they are the experts and I rather be safe than sorry

i did NIPT because it's said that OSCAR is not as accurate, and i wanted the peace of mind.

3y ago

Not accurate due to age factor or?