HL

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant and might have sciatic nerve issue or some issue with my right leg. I cannot put my full weight on my right leg, if I stand, turn, bend wrongly the pain will shoot down from the butt to my thigh. Anybody has the same problem? Went for a prenatal massage but it's not getting better. It's hard to do anything at this point. Even sleep. Legs go numb and I will have to change positions every 2 to 3hours, leaving me wide awake each time. I am with KKH subsidised, but I intend to take HL. Did ask for HL during my 1st trimester but they were adamant that they don't give out any since I'm not hospitalised. Will they give in and give HL in my 3rd trimester? If not, what if I change to KKH private, is it confirmed I can get HL from a private gynae without being hospitalised? The pain is really horrible. Thanks, mummies ?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there. Oh dear. That sounds so painful. I’m not able to advise you on the pain but please take care and do not over exert yourself at work. For now please just take mc whenever you’re not feeling well to go to work. For HL, i was under private at kkh and my gynae was dr suzanna. I was working long hours when i was pregnant. During third trimester, i tried to ask her for hl but she didn’t give any. Instead she wrote me a letter for shorter working hours and light duty until my maternity leave start which honestly helped me alot. I heard some gynae will easily give their patients HL but others won’t. It all depends on your gynae if they will give you HL or not because from what i understand the patient is supposed to be hospitalised at least one day for them to give HL. I think for your situation, you will most probably be able to get HL. All the best to you and please take care of yourself!

Read more
4y ago

Perks of being pregnant. Hehe. Yess just take mc yea. Baby’s + your health and well being matters alot! Take care! :)

Quite similar here. Baby's weight is pressing on my left thigh. I can't stand or walk more than 5mins or else my thigh will get numb & sharp pain. I am a private patient under KKH. My edd is 14Jan & I plan go ask for HL from 1 Jan onwards. Previously I asked my gynae for a memo as I plan to take no pay leave till EDD (as I had 2 miscarriages previously) but she was not willing to do so. She rather give me HL every month. I have friends who are under private with other hospitals & some of their gynae prefer them to work all the way till EDD. However 1-2 better gynaes will help. It really depends on your gynae whether he/she wants to give you the HL or not.

Read more
4y ago

My gyane is Dr Shephali. Unfortunately nothing can be done to ease my pain. I even tried going for physiotherapy but the exercises my therapist gave me don't seems to help at all. I will walk around my house as & when I can (we need to exercise no matter what , at the same time to make baby head turn down). Each time when my leg is in pain, I just sit & rest.