Is it right to reject pregnant women into onsen spa and massage?

Hi all, I am currently 13 weeks pregnant. I was thinking of celebrating the end of my nausea-filled first trimester with a relaxing prenatal massage and an onsen spa. However, after calling more than 10 spa centers, they all immediately rejected me to book an appointment. The reasons they told me are: (1)our onsen water is 40 degree and so you pregnant you cannot come in it's too hot for you, (2)our prenatal massage only accept 16weeks of pregnancy onwards you are too early you might miscarry we can't bear the consequences (3) our prenatal massage only accept 5 months of pregnancy onwards it's a policy I don't know why but I must obey. Despite my declaration that I am perfectly sporty and healthy and am low-risk pregnancy, and that I bear all the risks myself if anything happens, they just rejected me outright without any consideration. Pregnancy in itself is already a stressful enough journey. As a pregnant woman, I have already been restricted from many many kinds of enjoyment that a usual person can happily go. And now there is one more item in the restriction list: spa. I feel discriminated and sad.

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but they're right. You don't have a medical education and don't understand how this massage can influence your boy and baby inside of you. But the workers at the spa do understand it, and they have no right to harm your health. It's not 'for no reason. It is for a huge reason - the risk of miscarriage. When I was pregnant and wanted to have a similar hot water procedure at my favorite luxurious spa nearby https://onsitemedspa.com/ , I also was rejected, and I accepted it because they explained how it could hurt my health. Try regular massage or go try something else to uplift your mood.

Read more

It is definitely in the company's discretion to reject pregnant clients. Why would they take the risk despite you being healthy and sporty? That does not translate to a 100% problem free pregnancy/miscarriage. You've survived 13 weeks, be patient for 2 more weeks. There's this place called UFIT Hub at Club St, their certified prenatal therapist accepts clients at 15 weeks onwards. I had mine done there and it was a blissful 1 hour. So good luck, have patience!

Read more

Congrats on the end of ur nausea! I definitely miss the onsen and massages too. Good to check why your gynae on what’s ok to keep you and baby safe. I’ll be going on staycay and taking shorter not too hot baths instead of the super hot onsen. As for massage, you can book a prenatal massage for later on, time flies! Don’t be too sad and stressed, this is temporary and you will get to enjoy all these things soon.

Read more

I don’t see that as discrimination. You are pregnant and you should think what’s good for the baby inside you. Do you really want a permanently non-healthy baby because of that 1-hr onsen? The spa is reasonable and you are not. Please change your mindset, your baby needs you.

VIP Member

My dear, i just went to spa like few hours go. I am at 18 weeks and 2 days. It is not discrimination. But it is for you baby safety. No onsen at all please. Its too hot for your bundle of joy. Aren't all these sacrifices worth it? Please be patient.

if u want a massage, get the pre-natal massage services... dont have to go for that kind of spa... if anything happen to ur baby, who will be responsible for that? the spa? definitely at ur own risk.. so advise u to call the expert pre-natal nanny

please don't feel discriminated.. it's the company's policy.. onsen is definitely no because it's too hot.. if you really want to, soak in bath tub with warm water

Yes, pregnant ladies cannot go for onsen. If you faint inside, no one is going to take responsibility for you and your unborn child.

Onsen spa or hot bath is not suitable during pregnancy. You may consider prenatal massage for relaxing of muscles if you want.

They have done absolutely nothing wrong! Prenatal massage should be done after 5 months and Onsen is most definitely a no-no.