Is it okay to do shoulder and head massage at 13 weeks?

Hi! I am currently 13 weeks and have been experiencing shoulder and neck pain. I would really like to go for a massage but I know alot of places will not massage pregnant women till much later. But the pain is making me uncomfortable and I also know salonpas is not encouraged. Any tips to overcome this? Is it true massage is not allowed? Thank you

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was around 11 weeks I think. I called a family friend who is an experienced masseuse for pregnant ladies. Told her my neck pain was really unbearable and I needed a massage. In a joking way, she told me to suck it up and tahan until 20 weeks because she dared not massage a pregnant woman before 20 weeks. So I took a panadol and bought heat packs to relief the pain 😌 didn't do much haha so... I just sucked it up 😣

Read more
5mo ago

That’s what I’m experiencing right now, it’s so painful and annoying and nobody will massage me! Did your neck massage eventually go away?

I put microwave-heated rice-filled fabric packs on my shoulders, neck, upper back to soothe my pains. even the worst pains fade off after 3 days of using this method. Just avoid lower back or tummy so as to not heat up fetus).

5mo ago

Thank you for this suggestion, will try this!

Ya they dont massage pregnant ladies esp before 20 weeks unfortunately. They do not want to be responsible if theres anything bad happen to the pregnancy eg miscarriage

5mo ago

Hmm ok, thanks for replying! Will look for alternative remedy!

Look for prenatal massage.

2mo ago

i went for massage at 12 weeks. my masseuse is an experience pre natal masseuse, so she is well versed on which point can be pressed. she will avoid those points that linked to the pregnancy

I did acupuncture!

5mo ago

Doable at 13 weeks?