Milk Bottle Adversion

May I check if any mummies have experience handling bottle aversion. My 4 month LO screams refused the milk bottle even though we believe she is hungry. We only recently realised this. This is after many months of trying to pressure her to finsh her milk as she is a poor milk drinker.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My LO started rejecting milk from around 3 months old. We tried everything, from changing bottle/teats to changing feeding environment, to singing to comfort her, but only worked for a short period of time. in the end, it was increasing her feed interval from 3h to 3.5h that worked for us. now, she will happily open her mouth for milk feeding. also, our ped recommended starting solid food from around 4 months (she was sitting and holding neck well already), to let her forget any unhappy experiences with milk feeding and to start on a new skill. it was tough on us as she had never drank the typical daily milk volume for her age and her weight is on the low percentile. But we realised that we can never force feed her, so try to take it easy!

Read more
2y ago

thank u. I am reading a book called: Your Baby’s Bottle-feeding Aversion, Reasons and Solutions - by Rowena Bennett for some insights. I also plan to start her on solids soon as cleared by her PD. jia you too :)

You might want to consider changing your milk bottle/teat. My first born refused milk at about 4mo plus and we figured it could be the teat of the bottle cause he kept crying so loud obviously he was hungry. So we tried other brand and teat type.. Started with Avent, tried Tommee Tippee ended up with Hegen. Maybe you want to try the same? All the best ❤️

Read more

why pressure her to finish :( 4th month regression/leap makes their drinking amount very different as their bodies are going through rapid changes. if she doesn’t want it don’t force.. they will drink how much they need to. otherwise later will vomit out and waste milk..