Can I check , my friend's LO is the same age as my LO.. Both are 9 months old now. When LO was 6 months old then I start him on solid food, whereas my friend started her LO at 4 months .. She has no restrictions on what kind of food she gives to her LO whereas I'm more prudent in what I give cos I worry certain high allergic food if give too early might do more harm than good.. But she said that I'm overly paranoid .. She said should just give anything .. Am I really too paranoid ??

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There is no clear cut only one way of parenting. Our parenting choices depend on how we're brought up, the information we're exposed to, our level of control and our personal capacity. It is medically recommended that kids should only start solids at 6 months, unless the pd thinks otherwise dependent on the child's condition. As for food introduction, it's also recommended that we start them slow introducing 1 food ingredient at a time to check for allergy. It offers the child the chance to taste the natural flavour of each food too. To me, there is nothing wrong with being cautious. When it comes to your own child, it always pays to err on the side of caution and there must be reasons for certain medical recommendation. That said, your friend may feel that her child ain't an allergenic child since both parents aren't or that it's not her first child and thus it's easier for preparation of meals. Even so, I feel that it's basic courtesy to respect every mother's wishes and not judge them on their parenting ways. Don't feel bad about it. In my humble opinion, they've a life time to eat. Why hurry them along if you can let their organs mature a little before they start on solids, lest constipation sets it. Why hurry them when they can taste each ingredient in its original form. You're doing fine Mummy! *pats back*

Read more