Down Syndrome Test

I am 39 and I'm in my 10+weeks. I am to make a decision to do the test or not. The thing is, I had a terrible experience 3 years ago with my previous test. I did the blood test n scanning. And from the scanning results, the doc told me that my baby's nuchal translucency was thick and he had no nasal bone, which resulted to a recommendation of termination. Both me and my spouse were devastated. It's was so stressful that I was crying almost daily and also affected my husband's work performance. But the both of us took the decision to keep our baby as we will accept whatever the outcome of our baby. It was the most terrible few months til labour. Even in labour, while I'm having contractions, pushing my baby out, the doc was still reminding us that our baby will be down syndrome. My world came down to pieces. But with God's grace and love, my baby turn out normal and healthy. Imagine if I heed their advice when they told me to terminate my pregnancy, what would I have lost? Now I have a healthy 2.5 year old active boy. Totally fine and nothing wrong. And now, I am in a situation where I don't know if I should do the test again or not? It's really taking alot in my mind now and I have to make decision by 23rd Nov. I don't want to go through another stressful pregnancy. Please help me mommies.

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I’m so sorry that you and your hubby had to go through a stressful experience the first time. In my opinion it will be best to do the routine check given your age to ensure the baby’s health is fine. There are 2 things to consider: the accuracy of the test and the experience of the gynae. Given our age group, the Oscar scan is not recommended as it’s accuracy is not as high as the panorama test (DNA testing by blood test). Check out for experienced gynae to seek their opinion(s) which will really help in making informed decisions. Mine is from Thomson medical since my mum’s time (about 40 years experience). Hope it helps

Read more

So glad to see fellow pro life mummies here. I think if you’re certain to keep baby regardless, just skip the test. Save u not just money but also avoid disturbing your peace of mind. The chances of DS typically rises w age, so why pay for it when you know the report is going to tell you something you already expect to hear? This is my personal viewpoint la. Also the regular ultrasounds and week 20 detailed scan should be able to tell to certain extent if most things are in place in your child. If that is good enough for u to preserve and mentally prepare for the baby arrival, then I don’t c the need for the NIPT/Oscar.

Read more

I totally understand you because this is what I'm going through now. this is my 1st pregnancy and I'm in early 30s. been told my baby has absent of nasal bone and possible heart abnormality. cried. anxiety. sleepless nights. seeing my husband sad breaks my heart too. We are praying very hard and are currently waiting for the NIPT result. I don't think we are in a position to advise you what to do as this is still you & your husband choice... having the test can bring anxiety/depression BUT it can also be for a peace of mind. lean on God and His promises, pray for His guidance. ♥️ let's be strong!

Read more
VIP Member

Tests and scans are not 100% accurate. I did the scan & blood test but the result was mid risk and we were recommended to go for further tests. Didn't care much about it, didn't go for further test because we decided we will keep the baby. I trust myself and my baby that we're both healthy and well. Did the detailed scan and growth scan and a couple of small scans in between and all things were well. My bun is still baking and very much active. Don't let previous experience pull you down because all pregnancies are different. Take care of your physical health and most importantly, mental health. 😁

Read more

🤔 I am now week 10+ age 34 this year. We decide to take the test. In my opinion, test is a must to take. At least is either a piece of mind or to seek for 2nd advice if the test turn out to be bad. We chinese always go for TCM help to at least hope to aid the baby situation. And on the other hand, if we decide to keep the baby no matter what the baby condition is. Then we at least have a mind preparation and planning for the baby.

Read more

Oh dear, your post is making me anxious as I am over 7 weeks 38 YO. We haven’t told anyone about the pregnancy because we wanna complete the tests. I don’t know what to say or advice but ur sharing has given hope. If you are going to keep the baby no matter what, why do you want to do the test? Free yourself the burden; place faith on God as u did before and go with ur gut. At times the answers are within us.

Read more

Hi mommy, so sorry for your experience. My aunt went thru the same experience for her second born as well, thank goodness she didn’t listen to the doctors and terminate her baby. I personally think, if you already decide to keep the baby be it how it turns out, no point taking it to worry yourself further. Stay strong mummy! 🤍

Read more

Im in the same boat as you, im 38 blessed with a healthy baby girl 4 years ago....i didnt take the test cause my husband was we will keep it irregardless, for the next 8 months i worry every single day thinking if alls ok ... if i have a choice n could go back in time i would take the test just for a peace of mind.

Read more

Scanning may not be the most accurate. Take the nipt or harmony (genetic) test that has 99% accuracy… even if u will be keeping the baby regardless of the results, doing the test gives u a peace of mind. At least for the rest of your pregnancy, u dun need to ‘guess’ if your baby has ds or not

Put your faith in God like how you did. You had already prepared to have an unhealthy kid from the previous pregnancy. Don’t let the test scare you again. They will definitely show negative results due to your age. Stay positive, eat well, rest well & enjoy your journey again. ❤️