How true this is, but how do we make Singaporean parents understand that early childhood is not about learning primary school syllabus in advance ? #parenttown

Post image
6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I'd say it starts from you, me and everyone else on this topic - it seems like there's a lot of support here, and honestly, it's one of those things where we need our voices heard! Even if you can't change the minds of other parents, change your own so your child can benefit from you. We need to raise our children with the frame of mind where academics isn't everything - figuring out what they like, giving them time to learn through play and understanding their language is! I believe every child has a different way to communicate with his/her parents, and it's up to us to understand how our children communicate with us - when they're happy, when they're frustrated, when they're sad - without that, it doesn't matter even if you have the top student in the cohort because one wrong step without our guidance/support and they'd be gone.

Read more

Finland, a country that ranks slightly better than Singapore in terms of education, has a totally different education system and style. They encourage learning as opposed to the grades-sensitive system which is prevalent in Singapore. I must say that Singapore has been making crucial steps to encourage a holistic education experience these days, compared to when I was a student but it is a tradition that we cannot seem to shake off totally. Reckon it's a gradual change. Personally, some competitiveness is fine, after all Singapore is a small nation with big ambitions in a sea of bigger players. Having studied overseas, I am thankful that I have a Singaporean educational background because we are seriously much better prepared due to our "kiasu" nature.

Read more

Hi Edmund, Good question but really thought so hard about it. I am a parent to one primary and one pre school. Of course I support your idea that all child should be given their own pace for their development. All parents definitely want their child to be happy and healthy. But when comes to primary, the expectation is totally different from pre school altogether. If the child still taking their pace, the parents will be worry whether their child will be leftout in the society. There are many cases of suicide of teenagers when they failed to meet the parents' expectation or society's expectation. Maybe this can be a wake up call for all parents not to instil their expectation to follow the society.

Read more

Academics is a LARGE thing but its not the most important thing. Sure primary school performance will affect which schl they go in secondary but it does little to affect secondary school performance. Students who perform well academically or holistically are actually children who has a certain level of maturity and self-control/regulation. The earlier this happens, the earlier academic and other areas will perform. For some it comes early, some comes late. But take a back seat...there is SO MUCH more to LIFE than school and grades. Grades certainly did not reflect how much we earn in many many many pple's life

Read more

This is a tough one, given that nobody would want his/her child to "struggle" and/or "lose out". A related question, I would say, would be "How to instill the joy of learning in our children? To truly enjoy the process of acquiring knowledge and information, and not, for the sake of good grades." That being said, everyone has different interests and sometimes, we do have to learn to do certain thing for the sake of doing it. So I guess it is really about having a balance of both fun and "work".

Read more

I really love this post. I can't stand parents who think that academic is everything. Academic is important. I don't deny it. However I feel that there is no much more to teach y child in life. Early child hood is the foundation be it for academic or even character building. I choose to go with character. With that all else will fall into place.

Read more