How to sooth my son with HFMD? He can't take any solids anymore. Sometimes drinking water is also a problem.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mummy Mavis, Both of my kids are down with HFMD previously and twice! ! It is so hard to prevent especially in childcare. Mine totally don't want any milk and the doctor suggested to feed vanilla ice cream. This was a life saver, my kids love it and at least some intake is better than not having anything. Plus they felt more comfortable after the ice cream. But cannot over feed too or may have cough after the hfmd ☺

Read more
8y ago

Hahah! At this point. Cough is so much better than hfmd. Hfmd is too suffering for the poor child.

VIP Member

Hugs. Your son has ulcer in his mouth/throat that makes eating/drinking painful. However, it's essential to ensure he stay hydrated during this period. You can ease his ulcer pains by offering him some chilled fruit smoothies or milk. Honey water will heal his ulcer too. Try to go easy on acidic fruits as it might sting his ulcer. Bananas milk shake will make him full & the sweet taste might encourage him to drink more

Read more

How old is your son? Perhaps you can give him "treats" like ice cream, sherbet or fruit juice popsicles. Ice pops and ice chips also help. You can also try making breastmilk or formula milk popsicles. The frozen milk will soothe the pain in his mouth and this way, he will still get some much-needed nutrients in his system. Hope your son gets well soon!

Read more
Post reply image
8y ago

He is 2 and a half years old. Yeah! Gave him all that already! Cause he is not taking anything solid. But I can tell he is really hungry

perhaps his throat and mouth really hurts. I would up his milk intake, but still keep trying to feed solids like yogurt and ice cream. I wouldn't worry too much because it's likely only to be for a few days. Once he gets better, he is likely to eat more to make up for it! that's what happened with my son..

Read more
8y ago

hope he's feeling better!

VIP Member

Give him yogurt and cold drinks. My 2nd child caught hfmd at 19mo and shw ate ice cream and drank cold milk. Took us a year before she got over the ice cream and cold drink phase as well as back on solids. hang in there mommy.

You can make ice cubes with milk? He would love anything that's cold, like ice cream. As it helps to numb the pain in the throat. Else, go back to the doctor and ask for a spray that's help to relieve pain.

8y ago

Thank you! He stopped having ice cream as well. Maybe too afraid of the pain.

soft ice cream . im blessed that my kids have not gotten HFMD before but my cousin got it many times. Mac ice cream seems good for them . anything that is good, soft and smooth

8y ago

Thank you! First day he took ice cream. Second day he can't anymore. Rejected and cried.

Poor dear. Just keep your son hydrated. Try Yakult, ORS, h20, soups, watermelon cut in small pieces. Get well soon to your boy.

Read more
8y ago

Thank you!! He is much better already. But still not back on solids