how old onwards do you wean baby off mid-of-the-night feedings? my bb is now coming to 6months old in a few days. she still waking up for night feeds 1~2 times

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is suggested that by 6-8 months, a baby should be capable of being done with night feedings. This is because he/she is able to get sufficient calories needed during the day to get through five or six hours at night. While some babies may simply wean off from night feedings on their own, others may continue with the feedings. Also, as a baby’s sleep mature, he/she may naturally wake up after each sleep cycle. Hence, the frequent waking may not be related having to eat. Sometimes, a baby may simply want some comfort. Here are some tips on night-weaning: - start the process slowly and gradually: nurse baby for shorter period of time or give a smaller amount in the bottle. Prolong the intervals between feedings by patting and comforting the baby back to sleep. Gradually eliminate feedings sessions (one session at a time). - Ensure that baby gets plenty to eat during the day. - Offer extra feedings in the evenings. This will decrease the chances of baby waking up hungry in the middle of the night. - Try having another person to comfort baby when he/she cries at night. Seeing or smelling you may make your baby want to feed. For more information on night-weaning, you can refer to this article: http://www.babycenter.com/0_baby-sleep-training-night-weaning_1505721.bc

Read more
VIP Member

Did u give pacifier? My no1, when she 1st cry, i give pacifier, after that she stop and continue sleeping. Than she will wake up 4-5plus again for milk. After i wean her off pacifier at 10 mths, she took milk to sleep, naturally after a period of time, she manage to drag till 5-6+ to have milk so she can continue sleep to 8-10+.

Read more

You can offer extra feedings in the evening. If she goes to bed with a full tummy, she's less likely to wake up hungry in the middle of the night. You may even want to wake her for a final feeding or "dream feed" before you go to bed yourself.

TapFluencer

Every baby is different. My boy used to sleep thru since 2nd month but once he started solid at 6 months old he tends to wake up for 1 feed in the night. I am not sure why but more than happy to feed him.

for my baby it is around 8 month but recently she has sleep regression so it's back to wake up every 2 hrs

2 years old and still latching on at night. Tried to wean off but the crying was too much to bear

8y ago

Same here crying is too much to bear... But my baby is 1 YO