im a first time mum

how do u mummies cope with getting to get up every few hours a night? #advicepls im really getting really tired :( my baby is only 22 days.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I’m a first time mom too. After i gave birth, i had less sleep.. I cry everyday & ask myself what have i done to myself. this is not what i ‘sign up’ for. I don’t love my baby & love my husband more. yeah, it was so cruel. but i was having ‘baby blues’ or even pp depression. husband was helping out too but all i want is to sleep longer without any disturbance. my LO wakes up every 1.5hrs to 2hrs for milk. I started to hate everything because i didn’t know it could be this hard. I stop breastfeeding as i find it so troublesome because i want to sleep more than waking up pumping. Engorgement sucks, Episiotomy sucks too. My first month was bad. Back pain was worst. My life wasn’t great. BUT!!! Allah Maha Besar. I doa hari-hari. I talk to my baby, please be easy on me. Ibu penat, ibu nak sleep. please tdo okay. I selawat & baca doa for him hari-hari without fail. Alhamdulillah, now he’s 3 months. he slept longer. 4-6 hrs sometimes. When i see him grow, he smiles, he laughs.. I sayang him even more. I called it, love-hate relationship between me & my son. it was full of anger, hatred, many more.. but now.. i can’t even separate from him. All you need is patience. Catch your sleep whenever u can. Ask anyone who can take care of baby awhile so u can sleep. Avoid visitors for now.. they can always visit you when u feel ready. Thats what I do... I need rest. Alhamdulillah, now i feel so so much better after getting the hang of it. But yeah.. my back pain still hurts. You can do it Nur. Insyallah♥️

Read more
VIP Member

I’m with you. I don’t like the initial stage too! Keep waking up, pump and feed/latch.. When u thought u can sleep already, time to feed! Hahaha! But it will get better! For me, latching was really tiring (though I know many benefits comes with latching) and I don’t want to kill myself over it hence I choose to pump and store my breast milk in freezer (so that when my family care for my lo during the day, they can use those bm). Getting help from family (let them take care during the day) while you focus on pump and rest is really helpful. At night when the hubby comes back from work, he can care for the lo from evening till late/mid night while u get some rest again. First month is all about sneaking some rest here and there while baby is asleep or in between pump/latch session. A personal decision I made was to reduce his breastfeeding hence I started stretching my pump timing from third week - from 3 hr interval to 4 hr to 4.5 hr to 5 hr (slowly to avoid engorgement). Sleep gets better when I start stretching the hours and with family/hubby’s help. By then, your body already get used to the routine, you don’t even need an alarm to wake u up for pump/feed! Lol!!

Read more

As a first time mum, it's understandable that you need to learn many things and cope with your newborn. For us Malays in SG, no we don't have a confinement nanny like the ones in Malaysia that will be staying with us throughout our confinement period to look after our baby. Either we stay with our parents during that period or have our parents to come over or sleepover at our house through that period for help. Otherwise, if your husband is around, ask him for help while you take a nap. Sleep is VERY important for mums who have just given birth, for recovery & also for insanity. Sleep early. Change your bedtime to maybe 8pm? If you're giving your baby formula milk, bring all the hot flask, water and milk powder to your room so you don't have to go the kitchen many times at night. If you're BFing, pump your milk & store so it's easier. You just need to take out from fridge/freezer before you go to sleep and thaw to room temperature or can also warm your milk using warm water in a bowl. It's very tough in the beginning with all the lack of sleep & kelam kabut when your baby cries but you'll get used to it soon. Hang in there ok!

Read more

I feel u.. Every mom felt the same. We are very tired, and u will feel even more tired when your baby is growing. Fret not, u will be used to it. My advice is, to take a nap whenever your baby is sleeping. Dun do anything much yet, especially being hooked up on your phone updating on FB or IG. U gonna waste your time and ended up to being so tired! Use your time wisely, sleep as much as u can.

Read more
Super Mum

Co sleeping and side latching really saved my sleep, you can read up more on safe co sleeping and side latching. When baby wakes up in the middle of the night I just turn to the side and latch, baby and I can both go back to sleep immediately after, no need to scramble in and out of bed.

VIP Member

Its normal. Maybe take turns with husb? Every mummy goes thru the same thing also.. im up every 2 hrs to pump last time.. sometimes zzz only 1.5 hrs den wake up again lol.. bt in the beginning that’s all i do. Just zzz when baby zzz.. takes time n getting used to.. jiayou!!! 💪🏼

sleep when the little one sleeps and engage a confinement lady to take care of meals and baby for the 1st month! i did it this way so i can focus on recovery, and on getting bm going. it's tough in the beginning months but it will get better (it really does!).

TapFluencer

my family will help me out during the day for few hours where I can nap. if days they are not helping I will put baby in yaolan where she can sleep 3 4 Hours and I can nap too. and I dreamfeed at night

VIP Member

Get hubby to help with other thing like changing diaper if u r breastfeeding.