How long do u all normally take to pump? I always take abt 1 hr includes 30 mins pumping and hand expressing cos my pump cannot empty my breast ~ is it normal ??

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think the recommended or common time that people are pumping is about 15-20 min of pump and then just some and expression after that - that is provided you are pumping at your regular routine and not looking to up or down your supply. Engorged breast can be because irregular pumping, u taken to o much milk booster and have not had the chance to empty your boobs. Generally you can drag +/- 1 hrs as compared to the regular timing - if something crops up and prevent you from pumping. Pumping too Long is ineffective and is actually stimulating for more production at the same time too. So...it depends on what you want. Usually after pumping, it is normal to be able to hand express a little out. If your let down is slow, you can consider alternating more between the expression and the massaging function during your pumping time. You could also consider a warm compress/Owen to your breast to help you relax and thus let down to come more easily

Read more
8y ago

Thanks for ur reply too haha~ yeah I need to up my supply cos for my job nature sometimes it hard to pump regularly unless I am in office~ so everytime the interval is being dragged so I have to pump longer and also I have to hand express a lot to unclog or get all excess out if not it will clog further.. Maybe my boobs are prone to cloggin i duno but it seems like everytime if I dun empty well or pump regularly it clogs~ and btw I only take mothers milk tea (as n when) :)