How do you keep yourself sane and awake during the week when you have to cope with a 9 years old and a 18 years old who always fight for the remote control. 9 years apart and still fighting.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I agree that siblings squabbles will always be there, kind of shows how close they are. I still "disturb" my brother and sister even though they are 9 and 6 years older than me, respectively. It is kind of our way of showing we care for each other. Coming from a rather traditional Chinese family, we hardly show our affection (be it verbally or physically) and it is really through these "fights" and squabbles that we are saying "I care for you". haha.. kind of counter intuitive I must admit. So, don't worry about them fighting over the remote. It is just a form of their interaction I feel. :)

Read more

Educating the kids are important especially from young. Given their age, they should be sensible enough. You may wish to try other ways like being strict with them if you haven't. Show them yr authority as a parent. At times, you may need to use both the hard and soft approach. My suggestion is to have a heart to heart talk individually with them 1st. Understanding them is equally important.

Read more
VIP Member

How about taking away the remote and introducing board games? It's a great way to interact and for the family to bond. It would be good to follow the rule where "nobody gets it if you're fighting". Sibling squabbles will always exist, regardless of their age gap. Television isn't a very good way for the family to bond and share, unless they're all watching the same show, which is not in this case.

Read more

Sigh... the older one has no patience with the younger one. She won't play with him and both of them are living in their own worlds. They will fight but if anyone of them gets bully, the other will step in to deal with it. it is like, only I can bully my brother. if you bully him you will die. Vice versa. Lol!!!

Read more