How do you keep a toddler busy during a flight so she won't run back and forth to and from the lavatory?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

We usually preempt the kiddos before the flight what will our expectations be, how long the flight would be, what are the things they can do or cannot do etc. We tell them where we would be going and use meal times to help them navigate the timing (e.g. after we finished dinner in the plane we will soon reach the beach). We also very much involve them in the packing. I have 2 small bags - 1 is a special treat bag of snacks that they seldom get to eat, like gummy bears; another is an activity bag containing our usual colouring materials and a notepad. So for the treat bag, they get to choose a certain food item (out of my limited 2 or 3 options of course!) to bring along and for the activity bag, they get to choose a certain favourite toy or book for example. They have great memory and will often remember to ask us for the things they chose to bring. And in full service flights, you can also request for children's activities (usually some colouring books or simple toy) or playing cards. Being new, these stuffs usually can occupy the children for quite a while. As my kiddos also like to read, we like to pick up the in-flight magazines to read or simply point out pictures, or just talking about a particular article. When all else fails, we have preloaded favourite movies in our smartphones before flying and that would do as well, although in full service flights the in-flight systems are mostly well loaded with children movies and tv programs! Omitting the in-flight services and items, we practice the above not just on flights, but also on road trips as well. May you have a great flight and holiday! :)

Read more

I suggest according to the interest of your kids, take the toys, books or other things they get engaged with the most. It is a good idea to tell them beforehand what all to expect in a flight. This way they would not complain and sulk about getting bored during the flight. Yes, you can also take activity book with different activities in it. If you are not averse to giving gadgets to your kids, you can download some cartoon movie for them and have them see it. This will take care of most of the hours in the flight. Get them some snacks, and they will forget any discomfort if there be. http://www.essentials.co.za/lifestyle/keep-children-busy-while-travelling

Read more

Before we fly, I got a habit to tell my children what will happen on the plane and how I want them to behave. I will pack some snacks, books and toys for them. All these help to keep them occupied at least for a little while. Take these items out one at a time to maximise the length of time they will be happily occupied.

Read more

I will let them run around as much as they can before boarding the plane, so that they get tired and had their quota of running around . Also, choosing a flight time that suits your kids' schedule is a better bet otherwise you'll be battling against a tired/grumpy kid all thorough out the flight

Gabi kami nalipad 🤪 so they are tired and they’ll sleep kapag day trip i keep them occupied with lots of art materials one of my kids was diagnosed high risk sa adhd so when we go out of the country i make it a point that we have things that he loves.. i also talk to him alot during the flight..

We make them sleep actually. We let them drink "anti-hilo" or motion sickness medicine for kids before the flight. These make them sleepy. If they don't sleep during the flight, we just make them play with their favorite toy, color a book, or last resort, watch gadget movies.

Read more

I would usually prepare a lot of different snacks, and new toys, the last option will be watching ipad children videos, but i have a hyper toddler so video is often for him. Avoid sweet snacks before and during flight.

before the fly bring them to the nearest playground let them enjoy for it, after that they will feel tried and have a nap in the plane.

Tab is the most effective but you can also do mini indoor activities like drawings...colourings

do some drawing n colouring or read to her story books with lots of pics