How can I teach my 6-month-old early literacy? I just let him watch Your Baby Can Read and we read books as well. Are there any other tips and tricks?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As a preparation for my upcoming motherhood, I've been engaging myself in researching activities that would help my baby develop his literacy, cognitive, and other skills at an early age. You would not expect but there are some daily activities which we unconsciously do that can help in strengthening your toddlers' literacy skills. Do you know that making funny faces is a great exercise to affect the literacy skills of your toddler? Best if you position your baby on your lap, in front of a mirror, and make silly faces. Such activity will allow him to distinguish differences and will actually make the toddlers learn to read facial expressions. This is a good start to enhance the literacy skills of babies. Source: http://earlyliteracycounts.blogspot.com/2010/08/50-literacy-activities-for-babies.html?m=1

Read more

I've read that early literacy cannot be best learned by use of gadgets like laptops, iPads or TVs. By simple identification, you can enhance your baby's literacy. Say for example, while taking a bath, when you wash his/her head, say "wash wash baby's head" or if it's his tummy, "wash wash baby's tummy." So on and so forth. Just talk and talk and identify things, your baby can learn. Don't forget to read books!

Read more