How do you discipline without spanking?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Timeout and logical reasoning works for my colleague. This help prevent her daughter from hiding any mistakes as her daughter does not have the fear that she will be beaten. Her daughter often has a guilty look when she knows that she did something she was not supposed to. When probed, she will confess and accept the consequence. My colleague often uses logical reasoning and get her daughter to think of ways to make up for what she has done wrong. You would be surprised the things that young children suggest to "atone" for their mistakes. There was once her daughter broke a cup (despite my colleague's numerous warnings of not to swing the cup around). My colleague later explained to her that it was because she was worried about her safety (and safety of others) when she told her not to swing the cup. The little girl understood and as "punishment", she offered to sweep the house (with the small brush) to prevent everyone from getting hurt by the broken cup. My friend did the "punishment" with her in the end by getting her daughter to hold the dustpan instead of doing the sweeping.

Read more