Breastmilk

How do breastmilk work? I mean how to know the expiry? After pump, put inside the milk storage bag. Put the date and time. (No matter what amount) then keep it froze or just normal? If normal how long does it last? If let it froze how long does it last? - after defroze or normal, warm up the milk for how long? If baby is back to sleep dont want to drink. Kindly help as im scared my baby drink expiry breastmilk

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

“Expiry” depends on how and where you store. You can do both ways. Pump and freeze or pump and feed (fridge). What I did was pump into bottles > fridge > feed. Whatever excess I have in the fridge I will freeze at night. I always give my baby the freshest and newest milk in case she suddenly don’t wanna drink my milk (frozen stash) anymore. Storage temperature and durations: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/?fbclid=IwAR2vy0e6o2wP9RCkCYs3GHdrOXsVYpz5FDnEE1eDGj_xi4Utko10JCfrcPA&mibextid=Zxz2cZ After defrosting (do not refreeze if the ice particles inside is fully defrosted.), warm 2-3 mins depending on which warmer you are using. Can take out every 1 min to feel with your hands in case of overheating. If milk is warmed and baby did not drink, use it within 2 hours. If I’m doubt, just do a taste and smell test :) As long as it doesn’t taste sour, it should be good. For smell, if it smells like vomit, it may not necessarily be rancid, maybe just higher lipase in it (do a taste test to confirm.).

Read more
1y ago

Thank you so much! It helps alot