Hi, my Son is 18 months old, and not saying too many words. He's probably saying 6-7 words, and signing an extra 6-7 words. My GP has suggested we bring him to see a speech pathologist. We speak 2 languages at home, but reading online it seems that bilingual families don't really interfere with speech much anyway. Has anyone been in the same boat before? Did it take long for your child to catch up? My Son understands us very well and follows instructions very well. He points at whatever he wants, just doesn't say it.

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

I share the same worry as you, my daughter wasn't speaking much at that age as well as comparing to her peers. She understands us perfectly but just couldn't speak much words. My PD did a development assessment on her at 18 months and since she could say words like mama papa and a few others, he said it was nothing to be worried for now as each child's development is different. My daughter is now 20 months and in a span of 2 months, she is actually speaking much more already. Give your son some time, I'm sure he'll catch up in no time.

Read more