is it speech delay?????

My child is over two years old but still can’t speak. He likes to babble but I don’t understand what he’s saying. My child also hasn’t really learned to express what he wants. I’ve often talked to him and taught him words for things and animal names, but sometimes he can only say one word. I’m really worried... It makes me sad when he’s compared to others who are younger but can talk well. Maybe I’m not talking to him enough... I’m the type who gets confused about what to talk about, and I’m not good at storytelling... but I keep trying. Moms, has anyone experienced this? What’s the solution? #speechdelay

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

yes, its very worrying. Parents play a big part when it is about communication, you have to speak to them everyday. You dont need to tell them stories. its just simple communications like asking them questions, what are you looking at? Do you like Apple/Orange? You can also teach them color and shapes of the things they eat or play. Or you can bring them out of the house and go for a short stroll and tell them about the sky, clouds, trees, grass, birds and animals around your neighbourhood. it is also good if you have your siblings and parents communicating with your kid, it will be better.

Read more

Both my boys were the same. with my girl, she started less than a year. but the boys took a long time. but they eventually did at abt 3yo and haven't stopped since. they're 11 and 12 now it's become a joke I tell my husband "see u keep asking them to talk faster now they won't shut up". give it time. some children take longer and that's alright as long as the doctor doesn't diagnose anything. 🤗🥰

Read more

Recommendation- you can talk to him like your best friends, talk about anything, pretend they understand, actually this helps them to get more exposure to conversation.. i did that to my son.. Also, I have friends with kids only start speaking after 2.5 years old, started with single words, and now just started two words 2.7 years old.. everyone has their own speed :)

Read more
TapFluencer

strongly requested for polyclinic referral to kkh coz mine couldnt seem to talk much till 3yo... fortunately, he started just b4 i made an appt with kkh... he has been super chatty since he started

at 18 months after the vaccine (poly) nurses examine the babies and how many words can your baby can utter, if never meet the standards they will refer to doctor and follow up after 2 months.

have u gone for polyclinic routine check ups? they can refer you to kkh for diagnosis