Hello fellow moms, wanna ask how do you deal with clingy baby. My baby refused to be put down. She would latch for hours (on off stop awhile, mostly comfort sucking) then fall asleep. Once we transfer her to bed (with slightest movement), she would cry. Bought baby swing, but tried awhile then she didn't like it. So I'm baby wearing her using carrier. However, I am going to work in 6 weeks time. I'm afraid baby sitter has a hard time taking care of her since she demands to be carried all the time. What should I do?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is normal for babies at this age to be clingy. Newborns depend on close contact to adapt to outside the womb. Carrying your baby will help him feel secure, regulates his immature heartbeat, and helps to balance irregular waking, sleeping and feeding patterns. As they grow, it is common for babies to become clingy at significant developmental stages and, just as babies have physical growth spurts, they also achieve neurological milestones such as being able to perceive distance. Clingy behaviour can simply be your baby realising that his mother can leave her, resulting in clingy behaviour. It is a development milestone that babies will go through and outgrow from it. Do not be too worried. You can allow your baby to be familar with the baby sitter at least 4 weeks before u return work so as to minimise separation anxeity.

Read more

yes mom, some babies do want to be carried ALL the time! i used to try and put my babies on a floor mat and put a lot of toys around. i too would sit down and lie down and let my baby get comfortable, before slowly getting up and finishing work. sometimes it worked, but many times i had to stop in between and pick her up. babies get clingy while they are growing up, so do not be worried about it. do inform the nanny that this is a possibility, and she may have to carry your baby a lot, at least for the first few days and weeks. if possible, be around when the nanny comes so that your baby gets comfortable, before you return to work.

Read more

She must have got used to being carried all the time. Babies are very smart. Once they know that their demands are being fulfilled at the drop of a tear, they try this each time. Start putting him on the bed and stay near to him and play with him while he is lying on the bed. Begin doing this, he may want to be carried in the beginning but he will adapt. You can get toys with whom he can play. Have a few walk talky toys. Such toys keep kids distracted for quite a while. Let the baby be on bed or his cot most of the times, and be by his side so that he doesn't feel lonely, and soon he will come to terms with not be carried all the time.

Read more

Yeah its pretty normal for babies to be clingy because they are coming to terms with the fact that they are an individual person as opposed to be being part of another person (ie in the womb). Try playing games like peek a boo or hide and seek with your baby. Might sound silly but games like these will help baby learn to "miss" you when you're gone but also reassure them that baby will never be alone and that mommy (or anyone else close) will always come back and be there for baby.

Read more

She might have gotten used to being carried. It happens a lot too when your family is around for the first few weeks that baby was born. She/ he is seeking your heat. How about putting her/ him gently to bed, then resting your arm on his/her stomach so she can still feel your warmth. Then remove your hands once the baby is settled. Do this several times and she/he might get the hang of it.

Read more

sounds like my boy!!! he is super clingy. but I can tell you treasure these moments. it won't last long, by then when we want it they will be too busy with other things. I would say to gjust let baby cling and be tolerant about it. look at it from another perspective.