Breastmilk

Has any mummies done block feeding before? I am an oversupplier & i am trying to reduce my supply according to my baby needs. He is on a 4-hour gap feed, but my breasts get so full at the 3rd hr. Googled & found out about this blocked feeding. Where you feed only one breast for 1 feeding session. Is there any other way for me to decrease my supply?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Block feeding is a great method for regulating an oversupply, and it's good to hear you're looking into it. Essentially, with block feeding, you would feed your baby from only one breast for a set period (usually 3-4 hours) before switching to the other breast for the next block. This can help to reduce your milk supply over time by sending signals to your body that less milk is needed. Apart from block feeding, there are a few other strategies you could consider: 1. **Pumping Less Frequently**: Try to extend the intervals between each pumping session gradually. This can help to signal your body to produce less milk. 2. **Cold Compresses**: Apply cold compresses to your breasts to help reduce milk production. Cold helps to constrict blood vessels and can minimize swelling and milk production. 3. **Avoiding Stimulation of the Breasts**: Be mindful of not stimulating the breasts too much. Try to avoid unnecessary pumping or hand expression. 4. **Breastfeeding Positions**: Sometimes changing the position in which you breastfeed can help manage the flow of milk better and may help your baby cope with the fast let-down that often accompanies oversupply. 5. **Herbal Remedies**: Some mothers find that using sage tea or peppermint oil can help reduce milk supply. However, it’s always best to consult with a healthcare professional before trying these. If you find that managing oversupply is becoming challenging and affecting your comfort, you might also want to consider using a breast pump to regulate your supply more effectively. This breast pump can be quite helpful: [Breast Pump](https://invl.io/cll7h6h). Always remember to keep an eye on your baby’s weight and diaper output to ensure they’re getting enough milk. Consulting a lactation consultant could also provide you with personalized guidance. You're doing a great job and it's wonderful that you're so proactive about finding the best solution for both you and your baby. https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

Hehe I think I am similar at first it was slow , but then my supply became good and I just pump it out in between the feeds . I don’t empty my breast but just make it lighter so my body don’t over produce .