Has anyone ever tried organic infant formula? Is there really any difference between the organic formula brands like Bellamy or Hippp and the standard brands, like Nestle Nan, Danone, Friso, etc?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My friend, who is an organic foods advocate, claims that standard formula has more artificial “chemicals” in it and this equates to a healthier option. Honestly, I think that is a shallow way of looking at the matter. I've read that fundamentally, both organic and standard formula serve to nourish babies and nutrition-wise, there is no difference. The "chemicals" in standard formula might be synthetically created but they are similar to the "chemicals" found in organic formula. According to studies, the one area where organic formula differs from standard is in terms of its sweetness. Organic formula makers supposedly avoid the standard corn syrup used in regular formula. This makes organic formula significantly sweeter, and babies are already predisposed to like the sweetness of breast milk. This might lead to weaning and weight issues later in life, but there’s no solid research to back that up. Additionally, sucrose was the primary sugar used in organic formulas, but it was banned in Europe in 2009 due to obesity concerns, and American formula makers have since moved away from it. Another reason I can think of is that the ingredients used in organic formula come from sources that are ecological and environmentally friendly. Here is an interesting article about whether organic baby formula is any better than standard formula. The writer does not seem to think so: https://skeptoid.com/blog/2014/11/11/do-you-need-organic-baby-formula/

Read more