Dietrician for GD

Hi, has anyone been to a dietrician for GD and has it been helpful? I had been researching on the internet and pricking myself after being diagnosed 3 days ago - except for 2 bloopers I had been recording less than 7mmol after every meal. The clinic has now reached out and asked that I schedule an appointment with the dietrician. Could you help to share your experience please, how helpful it has been, or if it is a waste of money and time? Thank you. #advicepls #GestationalDiabetes

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, I’m currently seeing a dietician and have been following up for a few sessions. It has been very useful for me. She would analyse my diet and recommend to increase or decrease my food intake, substitutions etc. Eg my readings are below 7 but I feel hungry still. So she would analyse my entire day reading and advise accordingly. I find that my dietician is more chillax in a sense where I don’t do 7 pricks a day and she’s ok (gotten an earful from a nurse faulting me for missing breakfast). My gynae left it up to the dietician to recommend whether eod do I need insulin.

Read more
2y ago

thanks! we were a bit pressured by the clinic to see one, it's good to know it'll be useful. Still haven't had my first consultation, we just got rescheduled.

Hi, I have GD too and was referred to a dietician when I was first diagnosed. I found it pretty useful. She went through with me what my usual diet was, and made recommendations on what I could continue eating and what I should eliminate. The idea was to make as minimal change as possible to my diet. She also suggested good alternatives and snack options. I highly rec seeing one!

Read more
2y ago

thanks for sharing! I'd already changed my diet and lifestyle 100% lol.

I had GD during pregnancy and didn't go for dietrician. My OB asked me to list down my daily diet for the first 2 weeks and monitor my glucose. When she saw my list of diet, she did not refer me to a dietrician anymore. She just ask me to continue and eat a little more coz my glucose would go low sometimes.

Read more
2y ago

Your OB sounds like an understanding and sensible doctor. I wish mine would do this too - for a doctor who is "You must see a dietrician or go for the program, your readings are high! Your baby can die!" there hasn't been much follow up at all. Still waiting for the dietrician (we just pushed back the consultation again)

Its useful. I was referred to endocrine doc for GD. Personally it was a good experience!