Struggling with Boundaries

Gosh, the involvement of my mother-in-law in raising my child is CRAZY. While I appreciate her love and concern for her grandchild, I find myself feeling overwhelmed and, dare I say it, a bit suffocated by her constant interference. Don't get me wrong – I understand the importance of family support. However, it seems like every parenting decision I make is scrutinized, and my mother-in-law believes she knows what's best for my child. I cherish the time spent with my little one, and I want to build a strong and nurturing bond with her. But it feels like I'm constantly walking on eggshells, afraid to make a move without the judgment of my mother-in-law. I long for the freedom to explore my own parenting journey, make mistakes, and learn from them, without the constant interference. I've tried having open and honest conversations with my mother-in-law about boundaries, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I want to foster a harmonious relationship, but I'm not sure how to balance respecting her role as a grandmother while still maintaining my autonomy as a mother.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Ahhh all these sounds pretty frightening to me. I also live with my in-laws and we do have very rare quarrels on what she believes is good for me. 😥 I’m worried it will worsen after baby is here.

4mo ago

I hope it wont be for u cuz it was for me too. It starts on pregnancy journey.