Toddler’s Poop

Good evening moms and dads! :) i have a question my daughter who is 3years old and 1month is constipated and she only poop every 3 days. Here are the things we’ve tried: 1) My daughter is drinking prune juice 2) Duphalac (laxative) - as given by the Pediatrician 3) Gave her fruits and food that are high on fibre 3) Tried switching milk (from Similac to NAN to Hipp and now back to Similac) My daughter is drinking water but honestly not so much, her Pediatrician doesn’t now what to do. Please advise thank you :) My daughter has been like this around 2 years old and

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Mine too previously was like that, cried when poop was too hard and couldn’t come out. Realised child actually didn’t eat enough veg so is veg soup with more veg every dinner (child has lunch in childcare) and educating her to drink a lot of water, eat veg, eat bananas (every other day) so that she can poop easily. Initially, also tried probiotics and drank water with Chia seeds which helped. Also used a calendar to mark the days she pooped so that I keep track of the number of days she hasn’t pooped so that I could remind childcare teachers to let her eat the bananas which I had brought to childcare and to drink more water.

Read more
6y ago

For chia seed water, I add 1 teaspoon chia seeds to small bowl of water. Wait 10 mins for seeds to bloat and then drink

My eldest girl has the same problem since young despite the facts she drink lot of water, vegetables and yougurt. We bought her for TCM massage every week and I did the same for her every night as her condition improved after 6 months of hardwork from once per week to every 3 days to now every other day. For my second child we bring her for the massage since she is still a baby surprisingly she does not have this problem and she poop every day.

Read more

When your daughter poops, are the stool hard or does she strain hard to poo? If not, pooping every 3 days is fine.. if your daughter is eating a lot of fruits but not taking in much water it will just add to the problem. Because too much fibre can also cause constipation. You may want to give her probiotics like yogurt, etc instead.

Read more
7y ago

Thank u for the response. Her poop is sometime no so soft, hard, sometimes like pebbles which means she is really constipated. She eats yogurt and takes yakult as well.

I put about 1 teaspoon of chia seeds into a small cup of water. Wait 10 mins for seeds to expand and told child chia seeds will help her poo poo. She will then finish all the chia seeds water. For a start, maybe u want to give lesser to ensure no allergy..

Try giving probiotics daily . It works for my kids

7y ago

Thanks for the response. :)