Should I try for ivf?

Hi girls. I would like to hear your advices. I have been trying to conceive for 1yr+ … I have also made an appt with KKH and currently I have appointments with private clinic gynae and have done fertility test.. so far no much problem. If I go for kkh appt in later this year, during my first consultation with doc can I get an answer from doc that I can proceed with doc? Or I will not be allow with ivf? Any criteria to meet to try for ivf? Also, how long is the wait for ivf to start? Thanks thanks (:

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hello! let me share my experience who had went thru 3 iui and 3 ivf. i started family planning since im 29yo. for 3 yrs no result so went for fertility check. no prob for both me n my husband. spent a bomb. so decided to go for ivf straight. the queue for ivf in public hosp is really LONG! at least 6 mths. i went SGH under Dr Yu as private patient. so while waiting, gynae advised to try iui, who knows will succeed. but did all 3 times failed. then come ivf. as i not really scared of needle, im ok with doing ivf. just that u have to keep go to hosp to scan and the wait can be long. process is 1mth plus. 1st 2 times failed due to poor embryo quality. 3rd time i went to do tcm and quit my job as it was really stressful. finally succeeded but end up stillbirth at 28 weeks. the queue for every ivf is at least 6 mths. now im miraculously pregnant naturally, 2 mths after my confinement. sooooo just get the queue for ivf first. u can cancel any time. baby dust to you!! :)

Read more
8mo ago

Thank you for your replies. Really appreciate. I feel hopeful after hearing your story. And congrats on your baby! I’m happy for you. Take care! I will keep trying !!

I totally understand what you are going through right now . I had consulted 1 gynae Thomson private clinic , nuh fertility Dr and lastly Sgh fertility Dr. I almost proceed with ivf but managed to convince naturally after my 4th set of letrozole. as what most ladies advised . Yes both husband and wife must be tested to ensure that both are normal. For each IVF cycle , it requires roughly close to two months to complete. you must be mentally prepare that it's not an easy process as it requires many injections for a period of time ( est 2week) . And it's not guarantee success . get yourself in the Queue first . Meanwhile still try naturally.

Read more
8mo ago

Hi Joyce, thanks for your reply, really appreciate. I see, we both test n seems ok. Noted on your advices!! 😀

Me and my husband tried for 1.5 years, went to check and wasn’t given choices. Recommended IVF only, due to husband’s sperm issue. Suspect his work environment caused low sperm count, low mobility, low motility. So really depends on the issue you guys are facing. If they find no issue in both, highly likely doc will recommend IUI first before IVF. All the best on any route you take! :)

Read more
8mo ago

I went with NUH I did not choose Dr, but the one that did my Egg Retrieval was Prof PC Wong (very experienced) and the one who did my Transfer was Dr Huang Zhongwei (very patient and assuring). As for hospital visits nope not everyday. So far my appts are always at least 3-4 days apart. None that is back to back.

gynae will do several test for you and your husband before allowing you to do ivf. It wont be an instant answer. I believe ivf also has some criteria and requirement, not all can do. From what i heard the process for ivf to start may take months. Its a long process. But ive heard alot of friends managed to conceive naturally after trying for almost 2 years.

Read more
8mo ago

Thank you for your reply , really appreciate. I see I see! My hub n I have done my blood test at private clinic. KKH nurses ask me to bring blood test over for doc to take a look. Hopefully can skip the tests coz they will cost a lot.

kkh ivf need to queue, can be up to 6 months or even a year depending on the number of patients they have in their kkivf centre. I recommend you to talk to your gynae and get yourself in queue, if you managed to conceive naturally before that, then you can cancel your appointment. :)

8mo ago

Thank you for your reply, really appreciate. Noted! I will continue trying and if my appt is here will talk to KKH gynae 😊

Get your husband to test as well, if both comes back normal, I would definitely try the natural way first. IVF is an option but it’s also not a guaranteed success, it is also a very painful process for you.

8mo ago

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate. Yes we both tested. But I have mild thyroid under active problem but my recent blood test is normal already.

Will need your husband to run tests too before ivf

8mo ago

Thank you for your replies, really appreciate. Yes we did our test in private clinic. So I heard that we can just bring the test results to KKH when is my appt date.