Advice for Breastfeeding!!

FTM here trying to breastfeed but not producing enough breast milk đŸ„ș Baby latches well during 1st 2 days in hospital (without any milk). Just practicing and stimulating my body for bm. However, baby started fussing on Day 2 night. Showing all sorts of sign that he is very hungry. So i had no choice but to top up with formula milk. After he drank from bottle, he refused to latch any more 😭 At most suck once/twice and cry out loud after realising there's no milk. Finally, on Day 4..i see some droplets of diluted milk (translucent white). Tried to let baby latch again, but he refused 💔 Now, my boobs are all sore and hard. Tried pumping but still hard and only managed to yield about 10ml of diluted milk. Tried massaging and hand express still 10ml. Not sure if it's colostrum stuck. What should i do? Desperate help needed.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Want to suggest for you to just latch and latch and latch! If you keep pumping and baby at the same time doesn’t learn to remove milk from your breasts, you might always be engorged in a vicious cycle of pumping oversupply đŸ˜„ I agree that engorgement sucks, can try cold compress to help with the pain and swelling in the meantime. Heat therapy will make your boobs more painful because more swelling
 though your milk might come out better
 I’m taking sunflower lecithin to help with milk flow! Can consider also. And breast feeding really is difficult.. if you are hoping to move towards direct latching only, try to keep on latching baby (even though the last feed might have been less than an hour ago đŸ„Č) and not supplement with formula/bottle feed too much or at all. Make use of cold compress, nipple cream, nipple shields, breast pads (those are the things that helped me survive the first month of breastfeeding) Have faith in your body, your supply, and in baby!! ❀ hang in there jiayou mummy

Read more
10mo ago

Never mention. Thats why im also concern. I shall continue to wash and sterilise every sessions.

It could be that your milk duct is stuck. Try to do massage, warm/cold compress and you put your boobs in warm water with epsom salt. Alternatively if this doesn't work, get a makcik urut and ask them to do tuam (warm compress) and massage for you. Then, do pumping. When your boobs is full of milk, you will be engorged. How to know? You will have a lot of hard lumps and your boobs will leak. If it is just normal pain, hard then it can be just milk duct. You can also try to keep trying to latch and add on with FM wherever not enough. Both of my kids did FM/BM or EBM.

Read more
10mo ago

Thank you

The way baby latch also plays a big big role, his mouth must be cover ur whole nipple