Am i producing milk?

Hi mummies out there, i am all along not producing enough breast milk. My most was 30ml on both sides. (Pumping) But because i got covid so i forgo breastfeeding and pumping altogether. And i did not have any milk coming out when i started pumping for 20mins on each side ytd. i heard direct latching can boost breast milk so i decided to latch my baby. He latched about 30mins total of both sides and he fell asleep right after latching. This confuse me, i barely had milk coming out so im wondering if my milk really came out and did he feel full after he pushed his mouth away from my nipple? #pleasehelp #FTM #firstmom

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Actually you should continue pumping even during covid as our bm has antibodies in it 😊. In this scenario, there are two possibilities, 1. Baby’s suction is actually way stronger than pumps if the latch is correct. Reason you’re not pumping too much might be because your flange size or pump does not suit you. (I tried two pumps before I found the one that suits me.) 2. He is not getting any milk and feels frustrated hence he pushed it away. Usually any latching after 15-20 mins is considered as comfort latching, in short, human pacifier. You can consider rotating 1 boob each session (eg left boob, then next feed right boob), because 30 mins on both boobs (1 hour) most probably means after the first 20 mins, he is just self soothing with your nipples and not actually drinking.

Read more
5mo ago

So wat shld i do to increase my milk supply? So desperately need help here

Have you been consistently pumping 30ml? How long has it been? If you only been pumping for a few days, and now can't pump anything, then you prolly need to do a lot of power pumping for your supply to come back. Look for food to boost your supply, maybe like fenugreek supplement or something.. If you have been pumping for 2 months or so, and consistently 30ml, and stopped for a few days (not like weeks), then there's no need to worry, just drink plenty of water, continue pumping and nursing as usual and your supply should come back within a few days as your body should already be producing milk on supply and demand.

Read more

You can consider doing the following (im basing it on my own experience) : continue to consistently pump / latch at least every 3 hr (2hr if u can tahan, at least for a start), whether or not there is milk. You're telling your body that there is demand for milk. do power pumping drink lots of water eat oatmeal The oatmeal part is dependent on individual ya. Jiayou, hope your supply goes up quickly.

Read more