Is it bad to let baby sleep in carrier or rocker in the day

First time mum here. Feeling very anxious now because I saw on a reel on IG about ‘container baby syndrome’ saying that it is harmful to let baby be in a carrier or rocker for long hours and it will delay their physical development, cause flat head etc. My baby is 3.5 months old and since 1 month old, I have been letting him nap on the rocker in the day, or in the carrier if he needs to be held. Did I make a mistake and cause harm to my baby? 😭 In fact, he does have a little flat head and hasn’t shown any signs of wanting to roll. I’m worried it’s because I let him sleep in rocker and carrier… Any babies who sleep in rocker or carrier for long hours and turned out fine? I feel so bad as a mum and I need assurance 😭

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

About rolling over, baby will do when theyre ready to do it! I didnt even teach my baby suddenly one day he rolled his body over, but not able to lift his head yet cause neck not so strong. My 3.5m also having flat head, and now then i start taking action cs i panic, what i usually do is reposition his head left/right when sleeping altho most of the time he will turn his head back to the centre. I think sleeping in a rocker/carrier for nap is fine as long as the baby is supervised, incase if baby fall from rocker. But other than that as long as baby can sleep, theyre comfortable can just let it be. (For our own sanity too, as long as baby sleeps). Most importantly, diff baby diff pace dont worry too much!

Read more

mine was okay tho. but my baby wanted to do her own tummy time and rolled at 3 months. if you are worried on the flat head, what i would suggest is to have baby sleep turning right/left thru your own adjustment. (usually babies at this age is able to turn their heads left or right at least)

I didn't let me baby sleep in rocker, nor held him in a carrier, and he's got flat head and can't roll at 3.5 months either haha. So no,I don't think it's caused by using a rocker or carrier. Anyway, at 3.5 months, your baby should be turning his head a lot, so it helps with the flat head

Yea. don't worry too much. I think what the article meant is to try to keep your baby active by letting him/her do tummy time rather than just leav him/her in the carrier. Tummy time aids in the physical development of the baby such as their back muscles as well as other core muscles. :)

I think it's fine. don't really think it's about where baby sleeps on the day. you can try to increase tummy time and playtime to change around the positions and strengthen his neck. that'll help w development too

My baby sleep in rocker and sometimes baby carrier. By 2.5 months she roll on her own. I think it doesnt rly matter leh bb will learn eventually dont worry so much mummy!

napping is carrier or rocker will not cause delay. the reel probably refers to babies who are in a container all day long even when they are awake

By rocker, do you mean the mesh cloth bouncer? My baby sleeps in a yaolan / baby hammock during the day and she’s all fine.