Gov or Private?

Hello, first time mom here @5wks. I've always thought to go gov hosp if i get preggy bcoz of the costs. But my hb fren recently said his fren went to TMC for childbirth and the cost is about the same (normal delivery without complications) as gov hosp. My first check up at kkh is next week and now I'm not sure whether to go gov or private. Any thoughts & advice? TIA

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It really depends on what's ur priority and how much u're willing to pay esp in cases of emergency. There may not be much difference in cost for natural birth but you may not know what will happen eventually. For myself I had to go for elective csect and paid abt $15k at a private hospital as compared to under $10k in KKH. Just epidural alone may be different, I paid $1.5k but my friend at NUH had hers at abt $900. For my husband and I, we're alr prepared to pay such amt as I really wanted tt one particular gynae and cz the hospital is very near our hse.

Read more
3y ago

TQSM for ur reply. can i know which hosp and gynae?

VIP Member

Its not the same. Govt hospital if you’re under the subsidy route, each dr consultation is around $30-$50++, scans are around that pricing too. For prenatal vitamins its cheaper also. And if you go for B2 ward. Its around $1K plus for normal Delivery. But for private. Each dr consultation plus scan is easily $200, haven’t include prenatal vitamins etc. And for the ward itself, my friend is payin near $10k fot Normal delivery

Read more

if you would like to be prudent and since its still early days, you dont know yet hw the pregnancy will progress. better to go govt subsidized route.. u can always upgrade later on to private or choose own gynae at kkh, but if u go private u cannot downgrade back to subsidized rate (from what i know, pls double check!) there is definitely a difference, its not "about the same" the costs adds up to be quite a difference.

Read more

I went to kkh for all my checkup and scans till week 20. and switch over to pte gynea at tmc after tt. just have to call up the gynea of your choice prior to the switch and check whether they're accepting new patients. ps: request a copy of all your scans and blood test results from kkh on your last checkup. else will have to pay to get it from MRO. I also bought more supplements, as u pay more for them at pte too

Read more
3y ago

welcome

I was with kkh and midway i was looking ard to change hospital/gynae. I did call up a few gynaes and asked if they are still accepting patients that are 24weeks and some still do. But eventually i did not switch and i was glad that i did not as I developed complications and the bill from kkh did not cost me a hand or a leg

Read more
3y ago

thanks for your info.. that's what im afraid too...

Depends on ur budget n comfort? I knew of my pregnancy at wk 8 n had wsnted to go gov hosp as private patient. But the gynae apptment was too late n the hosp suggest mi to do my scan n test outside. Thereafter due to some issues i decided to just stick to private no doubt i was concern abt the costs..

Read more
3y ago

The package was 1050 before gst.. i tink consultation was 100+.. cant really recall.. 😂

Go kkh and change to TMC at 3rd Tri

3y ago

Nice.. i was telling my spouse this but im not sure if this can be done and whether the new gynae will b ok to take over a patient like this