Folic acid

Hi fellow mums/dads-to be! I just found out I’m expecting and went to the GP and got a referral to an OBGYN. I wasn’t eating folic acid before so the GP just prescribed it to me but he gave me 5mg dosage after googling lol. Is this ok? I did my research online and it sounds like usually mums only take 400mcg and 5mg is usually more for high risk pregnancies which at this stage i’m not... I’m due to meet my OBGYN only next week so wondering if I should take the 5mg in the meantime and whether there would be any negative side effects from consuming higher dosage of folic acid than required? Appreciate any advice!

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

erm i would suggest you don’t google too much on this. 5mg dosage is very normal dosage for normal pregnancies, there’s no negative side effects from taking a higher dosage. should be more worried if folic acid is insufficient because it’s so crucial in maintaining the pregnancy and baby’s development. it’s especially even more important considering you didn’t take before conceiving. many mummies have been taking folic acid even while trying to conceive.

Read more

i think its alright. just dont skip your folic acid, especially during your first trimester. i even bought mine from unity pharmacy when i first found out i was pregnant.. and didnt have th time to go poly to get referral to KK. th doc also adv me to continue eating them (5mg too) 😊

My IVF gynae gave me 5mg too and I have been taking it since the start of my IVF.